On the sharp end

Sending it since 2006

Name:
Location: Flatlands, US

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Let's go sledding!!! (no fun allowed)

New Year's Eve, Lincoln got 8 inches of snow (the first snow of the year - see blog entries on global warming). So naturally, me and TQ went sledding...






Me showing off the sweet new paint job I got on my sled, the "Snow Crusher".








After a particularly impressive face plant.









I tried to get a better "action" photo, but it was tough - she was like a bullet shooting down the slope.








So sledding has "rules" now - who knew? My least favorites:

-"Building jumps or ramps is not allowed" (Are you kidding me? That's the point of going sledding. That's like saying, "Enjoy the diving board - but no jumping or diving allowed" or "No pushes allowed on the swings.")

-"Sledders should wear appropriate head gear and padded clothing" (Yeah right. Do they mean "head gear" like dental braces head-gear? Ohhh, like a helmet. Did you notice our protective gear? Didn't think so.)

-"No fun allowed" (Basically my paraphrase of what the sign says.)

For the record, we broke 4 of the 7 rules on the sign.

What ever happened to letting kids have fun? And maybe even getting hurt once in awhile? I know, I know - lawsuits. But in my opinion, it's a pretty sad state of affairs when there are at least 7 safety rules to abide by when sledding. In my opinion, there should only be 2 rules: 1) Go fast; 2) Have fun. For a more eloquent and intelligent discussion on the subject of "playing", see my friend Christina's blog here.

1 Comments:

Blogger TQ said...

well, if those are the most fun pictures ever...
glad to see they made the blog.

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home